Saturday 25 June 2011

Round 14 Preview: Blues v Eagles

I see this game as the biggest challenge of the season to date. The Collingwood game was more challenging, but I never saw us as a chance against the Pies. Against the Blues we have a shot.

Yesterday I took a cursory glance at the matchups and I have to say it looked promising. I know a 'team' is more than a sum of its players, but at a basic level we are fairly evenly matched. Both their forward and backlines are solid. I do have fears over their small forwards, not allayed by the inclusion of the most inflexible man in football 'E-Mac'. Carlton also lose Duigan to injury, one of their most consistent backmen. However, the midfield is where the interest lies, for more than one reason.

Firstly the Juddas factor. I call him Juddas from a combination of Judd and Judas for reasons clear enough. I don't hate the guy. I understand why he returned to Melbourne, climate not withstanding, and can respect his decisions. But I have little love left. We helped mold the guy into one of the best ever and now he's using his powers against us. I'm guessing either one or both of the Selwood's will take him tomorrow. That is, if he plays. If anyone knows the number for the Ministry of Magic I'd be grateful...

Carlton also has other very good on-ballers; Murphy, Simpson. Robinson and Gibbs. Kerr and Priddis need to have big games to keep those guys busy. Shuey and Rosa also need to rise. Swift needs to...not make too many mistakes.

I feel good about the fact the game is at the Dome as it is easier to apply an effective press. We did so, fairly well, against the Bombers earlier in the year.

I really feel this is a statement game. We haven't won in Melbourne this season. We haven't beaten a top 4 team this season. We haven't beaten the Dark Lord...ever.

Wands at the ready guys, it's time to take down the Balded One!

No comments:

Post a Comment