Monday 13 June 2011

Round 12 Review: Eagles Beat Crows; Make it 2 from 2 at AAMI

In the words of MENSA member Shane 'Crawf' Crawford:

"THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!"

I was very impressed by our performance on Saturday. It wasn't perfect but we showed grit, determination and above all class.

Early on I thought we were in real trouble. Adelaide had a heap of the ball but couldn't convert it into scoring. To be honest I was thinking that this was beginning of the end. Though, it seems my tendency to over react was at work. With the influential wind at our back in the second we burned the Crows to set up a commanding lead at the half. During the 3rd again I thought we were done, but my concern was again premature, as we piled on the goals in the last quarter.

I know the Crows aren't a good team. But it was at AAMI, where we historically struggle, and we were challenged several times throughout the afternoon. That's what makes it such an impressive win. We were expected to win, we didn't have it easy but we got the points and in the end got them comfortably. We showed the maturity of a finals contender.

There were so many fine performances, but Kerr's was the most heart-warming. I think I will start calling his season the "Kerr-sugence', because I thought his career was effectually over. It turns out that I was effectually wrong. Admittedly, he's still got minor injury concerns but he is playing near his best. His clearance work with Cox is reminiscent of the mid 2000s. Moreover, not only is he winning the ball but he's accelerating away from the contest. His pace, that many recently questioned, has returned.

Other highlights included the dominance of Cox and Naitanui. Lecras was superb up forward. He appears to be wearing a glove of late. Nice touch.
I thought our backline was also very good. Glass anchored the defence per usual, with Hurn playing as a loose man or as 'Interceptor-saurus'. The much maligned (well only by me) Butler was also a stalwart down back.

There was still a few negatives. Masten was ineffectual and was subbed off in the 3rd. I don't know what we do with Masten. I don't think he has improved at all since we drafted him. But as such a high pick (which I can't comprehend) I suppose we can't just give up on him. Ashley Smith continues to be a semi-liability. I write 'semi' becuase he's not E-Mac. But his disposal is poor. We can survive with him until Brown and or Waters return. Darling has started to be less and less involved in recent weeks. Although the bye is coming up I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to rest him next week.

That's about it. Except to say that the idiot that ran on the ground is... an idiot. Although he actually did more on the ground than Masten.

The Power next week. Then the bye. We're sixth at the moment with 11 games remaining. Of those 11 games only 4 are against teams in the 8. We can't get complacent though. Nor can we begin to dream of glory. Unless teams above us collapse we will probably finish 6th to 8th.

That in itself would be an amazing revival.

No comments:

Post a Comment