Friday 3 June 2011

Round 11 Preview: Eagles v Suns

Greetings friends.

As I stated earlier this week, this game isn't one to get excited about or anticipate. Yet, it's hugely important in terms of finals aspirations.
A couple of days ago I did my first of what is likely to be a weekly activity of predicting the final 8. I believe the Eagles finished 6th, facing the Dockers in the elimination round. We ended with 13 wins. Needless to say, I had us winning this game.

When you think about it, not only would a loss be statistically harmful;  it would be emotionally debilitating. I mean, the only 2 teams to lose to the GC are the Power and Brisbane. We don't want to join that exclusive group.* It's not as if the Suns aren't capable of causing problems either. In parts, as in the first half against the Cats, they showed great flair and ability. The Eagles must ensure they start well crushing the will of the nascent Suns.

Speaking of 'nascent', Andrew Embley will play after his wife gave birth last night. Congrats to him and his wife. I do hope the name 'Lux' isn't one of those new age made-up names like D'Brickashaw. Regardless, father-son. Enough said.

In other good news, Brad Ebert was omitted. It may seem harsh to say 'good news' but the guy has had over 3 years to improve. In my opinion he has shown very little. Not that he's alone of course. Andrew Strijk comes in. We haven't seen much of Strijk. He played the last 10 games of last year, but I don't really remember much about him. That probably means he wasn't terrible. I also love his name and the spelling.
The Suns made 4 changes, which is par for the course for them. Matera and Hunt are out (meh) and other mediocre/young players return.

We should crush the Suns. They are young, weak and inconsistent.  If we maintain our pressure I expect us to win by over 10 goals. People may call it a trap game and I agree. I agree in so far as it's a trap to waste too much energy on the Suns.

So don't try too hard, just enough. Enough should be enough.

Enough so that Ablett starts crying.



Alright that's enough.

By the way, The Freo flag timer has been relocated to the bottom of the page. I found the colours a little disorienting. Never fear though, it will return in time for Derby the second and possibly a Finals Derby.




*Because they are shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment