Monday 20 February 2012

Preseason Week 1: Eagles do the dance of domination

The Lecras injury may have left many Eagles fans in a state of despair, but today's performances were a welcome reminder of the strength of this team as a 'unit'.

I attended these games with a deranged individual colloquially known as a 'Bombers fan'. Though that's not exactly relevant to this post, it needed to be disclosed.

Anyway, I know it's preseason and in terms of results meaningless, but our performances were very strong across both our games. Against Essendon we were generally a bit rusty but were far more effective with our disposal than the Dons.

Against Freo, we applied our forward press with superb solidity. For the first quarter/half we must've kept the ball in our half for 75% of the period. The Dockers were fairly tame though, scoring their only goal (can you give me an L.O.L?) with a minute left in the game. Our passing and ball movement was also impressive with several attacking thrusts executed with precision. The only really disappointing issue with the day was our inefficient forward line. To be fair though there was no JJK or many others of note.

Best Performers

Dean Cox looked very strong. Shannon Hurn excelled in the Freo encounter, a key figure in the forward press. As I was at the game it was very evident how well he reads the play. I thought Josh Hill played fairly well too. Though I was probably paying too much attention to him, which may have skewed my impressions. Gerrick Weedon also tried hard and kicked a couple of goals. I hope we give him a real chance this year if for nothing else than because he wears number 44.
I also can't fail to mention the Essendon runner...she...erm...can deliver water to me any time. (Fans in Block 123 know what I'm talking about.)

Dissapointments 

No Naitanui, Dick nor JJK. But that's to be expected. What should never be expected is the atrocious thing on top of Tom Swift's head. Good God man! Don't you own a mirror? I honestly thought some kind of wild and poorly groomed pony was running around out there.

Best Moments

Although rather concerning, the clash between Darling and some Docker occurred right in front of where I was sitting. For a preseason game, it was a collision of epic proportions. Plus, destroying Freo it always nice.




No comments:

Post a Comment