Saturday 11 February 2012

12 Predictions for 2012: Part 1

I know it really should be 2012 predictions for 2012, but who would read that? Nobody. Partly because I would never be able to write a list that long and therefore not post it and therefore potential readers would not be able to see it. But mainly because it would be just a bunch of half-baked (or is that deep-fried?) thoughts from the dark recesses of my...oven.

That being said, as I type I haven't thought of any of the 12 predictions which may or may not follow so don't expect anything too enlightening.

But without further a stallling, here is the list we've all been not waiting for:

1. Naitanui will become our No. 1 ruck option.

Cox is a legend but father time is undefeated...though a time machine may be an option worth exploring. He was brilliant last season, Cox not Il Tempo Padre, but he is 31 and the end has to be nigh. We all know Naitanui has got incredible talent and we saw signs last year of greater consistency within games.  As the curtain draws on the career of one of our THE greats expect a Salinger-esque (coming of age) season for our favourite Fijian.


2. Josh Hill will be amazing...ly less annoying than Ernie's friend Ebert.

I remember when Hill began his career. I picked him up in Dreamteam after a couple of good performances as a sneaky forward and he promptly let me down. It was a rookie mistake by me and it still stings. But the point is he's versatile with good pace. We desperately need a small forward or two and he may fill that role. But my prediction here relates to Ebert, perhaps the Eagle I vilified most after Masten last year. Even if Hill doesn't do much he can kick a football fairly well so it's unlikely he'll piss me off as much as Brad...or was it Brett? Who cares. But his brother does have a masssive head. Huge. Plus Port Adelaide...ew. By the way, I really wish I had thought of 'Ernie's Friend' as a nickname for Ebert last year. What a waste...just like the pick we used to draft him (zing).



3. Robert Walls won't give us any credit, but he's not on TV so no one will be listening.

Self-explanatory really, but he's still on radio. God I hate him. Did I mention that?


4. The Eagles will Finish Top 6

It's a fairly unbold prediction but I was going to write top 8 so give me some credit. I have a fear, largely founded on  the fact that I have a predilection towards pessimism, that we will slightly regress. Rationally though, we executed a wonderful game plan last season that was extremely effective against all but the very elite. (Pies, Cats) But I wonder if teams will be more prepared this year. I still don't believe we have the same talent-base which allows us to out-skill the best teams. We will rely on young players like Shuey and Selwood to continue to develop and hope that others can lift their game. I also think that there were a dearth of 'solid' teams last year. Surely teams like Essendon, Adelaide or even (shudder) Fremantle will be better.  But hell we haven't even played a pre-season game yet, so this prediction is based on nothing you can bite....or lick for that matter.

Tune in tomorrow for Part 2 plus some Dockers-related insults.

No comments:

Post a Comment