Monday 25 March 2013

Round 1 Recap: Dockers Win Premiership!

Congrats to the Dockers on their Premiership victory. They have achieved what no team has done before. They have crowned themselves champions after a mere 1 game into the season. Surely they must think that, as their celebrations as they kicked their final few goals were things of grand finals. Quite ridiculous, but typical of a team who still sees Derbies as their biggest games of the season.

Anyway, back to reality. We lost, essentially on the basis of a cataclysmic third quarter where they overran us and we fell to bits on the back of injuries.

Luckily for me, but perhaps not for this post, I missed the entire third quarter. Consequently, my views on the game aren't exactly 'fully informed'. But what else is new. We started well, we looked as solid as ever down back, potent up forward and on the verge of breaking away. Unfortunately, throughout the first half we didn't make the most of our chances. Worse still, at the end of the 1st and 2nd quarter we gave away cheap goals to keep the champions in touch. Then the 3rd quarter happened...

All I know is, I left one TV with the Eagles ahead by 9 points and went to another TV 30 minutes later and we were 4 goals down. It was a fairly horrible experience, mitigated by the fact that I assume it was worse to watch.

The score was bad enough, but then I was confronted by the news that Lecras had broken his arm. He looked so classy in his first half back and he's such a joy to watch. Yet, now it appears, although disappointing for him and us, he could be back as early as 2 weeks, but no longer than 6 weeks. So it could've been worse, but still- damn.

There's also concerns about Glass and E-Mac, but with 2 weeks until we face the Hawks they have plenty of time to recover.

But look, my theory is this: we lost 1 game against a decent team. We looked pretty good throughout MOST of the game. We have plenty of injuries to highly influential players. Plus, it was an 'away' derby, which is always tougher. I'm honestly not that concerned. Disappointed sure. But the season is young and there's much to look forward to. Perhaps something to keep our eyes on, is our inability to put in a full 4 quarter performance. I remember that being a key struggle last year and I just hope the 3rd quarter wasn't a continuation of that trend.

Anyway, 2 weeks until Hawthorn. I'm attending to that game and I won't let us lose. So chalk it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment