Saturday 2 March 2013

13 Predictions for Season 2013: No. 10


As I sit here typing, I can't help but think I'd only have 7 predictions to go had I gone with the conventional '10'. But that would be too easy and...lame. But I’ve decided to post the final 10 one at a time to trick you into thinking I’ve done more work.

  All the more impressive now that we know that 
the Bombers are half-man, half-robot.

10. Leading Goalkicker

This is a difficult one. You would think that there are three bona-fide potential leaders here in Kennedy, Lecras and Darling. Looking back upon the last few years, due to injuries, form and other factors no one player has locked down the ‘No.1 goal kicker’ position.


2012
Jack Darling
53
2011
Josh Kennedy
59
2010
Mark Lecras
63
2009
Mark Lecras
58
2008
Ben Mckinley
42
2007
Quinten ‘Magpie’ Lynch
52

 source: AFL Stats

In fact, that’s probably become one of the strengths of the team over the last couple of seasons. We have a strong array of options, making it difficult for opposing teams to focus on just one key guy. That strength was, of course, tested last season with the long-term injuries to stars Lecras and Kennedy, but others, notably Hams and Hill, stepped up and filled the void nicely. This year I also suspect we will see a nice spread of goals, with Lecras with 51 stealing the show. I’m a little worried about Kennedy’s propensity for injury, while I assume (my) Darling’s tally will come down a little with the return of the two guns.

Stay tuned for more things that you probably don't want to know by liking and following.

No comments:

Post a Comment