Saturday 10 September 2011

Qualifying Final Preview: Pies v Eagles

Well, when I started this blog I didn't anticipate needing to post anything past August. I thought we would be horrible again and challenge for the spoon. But instead we are challenging for a more erstwhile kitchen-related instrument: a cup. The Premiership Cup to be exact.

I'm not going to lie and write that I think we will win it. Is it possible? Yes. We secured the double chance and we have played consistent high-pressure football throughout the season. Yet if I look at the 3 teams above us, I think there is quite a gap. We beat Geelong and pushed Hawthorn but they are more seasoned performers. They would be hard to beat in the East, in the heat of the finals.

However our focus here is the top dog. They scare me. This game scares me. I can't see a good result for us in this one. By good result I include a loss by up to 5 or 6 goals.They are simply better. Their players are better. They have finals experience. They killed us earlier in the year. Their gameplan is so good we stole it.

Now, they are missing Thomas and have some other issues, but they're still a formidable opponent.
I remember one of the major problems when we played them earlier was our immobile forward line. We had our fair share of inside 50s, but every time the ball hit the deck it popped out of forward half quicker than Swan could get another tattoo. It's not surprising though. We really need a bona fide rover in the offseason.

Still, in positive news both Kerr and Schofield return. Kerr is critical. He takes the pressure of the younger mids as well as providing finals experience. McG and Smith (string of the ham) are out.

If we are to pull off the nigh impossible we need huge performances from key players. Firstly, Cox and Naitanui BOTH need to dominate. Preferably with Naitanui also being a potent force up forward. We need our midfield to have their best game of the season. I know Shuey and Kerr will deliver. But I really think Masten could be an X factor. He was BOG against Brisbane and very good against Adelaide. If he is finally 'in form' he chose a hell of a time to hit it. Perhaps most importantly though, our forwards must have strong hands and take their opportunities. We can't waste chances or it will be a long and painful afternoon.

Despite my pessimism, apprehension and fear I'm quite looking forward to this one. I remember our 2 previous finals games in 2007. Both left me feeling ill. If after this one I'm only feeling queasy, it will be a good result.

No comments:

Post a Comment