Tuesday 20 September 2011

Glass, Cox Rightfully Return to All-Australian Team

I briefly considered whether I should place Cox before Glass in the title, but sexual innuendo always trumps alphabetical considerations.  

Regardless, these two players are true greats of their positions. Not only for the club, but in the history of the competition. I don't think there can be much argument that Cox was the pioneer for the modern ruckman; mobile, good skills, strong mark and stamina. Oh and obviously he's a great tap ruckman. He has had a superb season, though he's looked rather tired at times, and it's great to see him recognised as the best in the game.

I'm perhaps even more pleased to see Mr Glass gain proper appreciation from those blind men of the east. 




But unlike the man that Samuel L Jackson portrayed in Unbreakable, Darren Glass SPOILER ALERT isn't fragile nor a terrorist. Although I guess the second factor wouldn't be such a bad thing for a fullback. 

Anyway, I love Glass. He's amazingly consistent, a strong leader and great in contests. He's also great at wrapping his arm around the back of a player and not being penalised (wink to Carlton fans). 
Interestingly, when he first played for us I thought he wasn't long for the AFL world. I thought he was a little crabby, slow and weak. But I was wrong. He was by far the best fullback this season. Well done Glassy.

I was kind of hoping Kennedy would be selected, but you can't expect too much from the fools. Wow, I just noticed that Ben Reid made the team and Milne...


B: Matthew Scarlett (Geelong), Darren Glass (West Coast), Corey Enright (Geelong)
HB: Robert Murphy (Western Bulldogs), Ben Reid (Collingwood), Leon Davis (Collingwood)
C: Dale Thomas (Collingwood), Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn), Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
HF: Marc Murphy (Carlton), Travis Cloke (Collingwood), Dane Swan (Collingwood)
F: Stephen Milne (St Kilda), Lance Franklin (Hawthorn), Adam Goodes (Sydney Swans)
Ruck: Dean Cox (West Coast), Chris Judd (vc) (Carlton), Gary Ablett (c) (Gold Coast)
I/C: Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs), Nick Dal Santo (St Kilda), James Kelly (Geelong), Drew Petrie (North Melbourne) 


No comments:

Post a Comment