Sunday 12 January 2014

Season 2013 Review Part 2: If Loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right

I'm not exactly certain what I mean by that title. Maybe that I will always love the Eagles no matter how much pain they bring me. Sometimes I think how strange it is to 'love' a sporting team. What do we really love? It's not the players, they come and go. It's not the coaches, the board or the ground. Is it the jumper, or do we just love being part of something together with like-minded crazies, part of a movement with history, passion and belief...

Apologies, I think the heat is getting to me.

On to the review...

10. Leading Goalkicker

This is a difficult one. You would think that there are three bona-fide potential leaders here in Kennedy, Lecras and Darling. Looking back upon the last few years, due to injuries, form and other factors no one player has locked down the ‘No.1 goal kicker’ position.


2012
Jack Darling
53
2011
Josh Kennedy
59
2010
Mark Lecras
63
2009
Mark Lecras
58
2008
Ben Mckinley
42
2007
Quinten ‘Magpie’ Lynch
52

 source: AFL Stats

In fact, that’s probably become one of the strengths of the team over the last couple of seasons. We have a strong array of options, making it difficult for opposing teams to focus on just one key guy. That strength was, of course, tested last season with the long-term injuries to stars Lecras and Kennedy, but others, notably Hams and Hill, stepped up and filled the void nicely. This year I also suspect we will see a nice spread of goals, with Lecras with 51 stealing the show. I’m a little worried about Kennedy’s propensity for injury, while I assume (my) Darling’s tally will come down a little with the return of the two guns.

This race was never close. Despite a midfield that from memory was being beaten on a regular basis, Swift-ing the ball into the forward line at every possible opportunity, JK flourished. For much of the season he looked like good money (gamble responsibly) for the  Coleman. Unfortunately, he fell away, as the team well and truly imploded with 3 of our worst losses in our history to end the season. Roughead topped the list. I was at the Eagles-Hawks game, where one rather surly Eagles supporter audibly noted: "Roughead, the way you play football is as ugly as your face". Harsh but hilarious.



Darling was very good, though  I seem to recall perhaps a slightly underwhelming return during some games. Lecras managed only 15 games. Remember when he was the most accurate kick for a goal in the competition? Those were the days. He kicked 30.27 in 2013, including returns of 0.3 against Port Adelaide (still haunts me), 1.4 against North and 1.3 against Adelaide. However, his last game of the season (that feel-good thrashing of the Don-Cheats) was brilliant, where he ended with 5.2...and I seem to recall he did it with a cracked rib or something.



On another note, Ashtom Hams retired.

9. Worst style decision- the Beard or the Pony?

 I’m feeling a little nostalgic about Dr Swift right about now...Anyway, in my mind; nothing surpasses the sheer absurdity of Schofield’s beard. Wellingham made a wrong choice to tie his hair like a horse. But with Schofield, it’s a long-term plan to grow, cultivate and promote the mass of hair spouting from his chin. I predict that by Round 3 a group of restless fans will band together and form a campaign to rid our side of the beard’s tormenting spirit. They’ll write a letter and it will go a little something like this...
  

Dear Mr Schofield,
It has come to our attention, loyal Eagles fans and fashion aficionados, that you’re beard is in such a state of disrepair, owing to either your negligence or some misguided sense of style, that it is causing us great emotional anguish. There has even been rumours, unsubstantiated mind you, that members will boycott home games, in order to avoid any potential danger from the undoubtedly numerous crawling critters and rambunctious rodents inhabiting your face. We also have concerns over the effect the beard is having on your level of play. There have been multiple instances, with your head over the ball, of you being pulled down by the weight of the thing.

 

We have sent you a complimentary set of sheep sheers. Please do what is right and necessary.

I'm not going to harp on this prediction, because quite frankly it is ridiculous. On the other hand, the trend towards the Ned Kelly look annoys me greatly. It's all fine and dandy to look like you are a hermit living in the alps, but when you're getting thrashed every other week it doesn't feel right. Masten, you sir, looked horrendous. Plus, does anyone else think that those big beards slow down players. It's simply not aerodynamic! I was also preturbed by Sharrod Wellingham wearing designer sunglasses when he was sitting in the coaches box convalescing from his (self-inflicted) ankle injury. But who cares really? It only irritated me because we were losing.

8. Biggest Disappointment...

NicNat had a good season in 2012. It wasn't an All-Australian calibre season in any respect, except in the respect that he actually was All-Australian. Dearth of ruck talent perhaps? Too much emphasis placed on the amazing, tantalising and irresistible flashes by the big man? Maybe. Regardless, we expect him to continue to improve as a player and develop more consistency both within games and across the season. But, I'm not sure that will happen this season. The fact is that NicNat has already missed time with injury and unless you're Dean Cox, injuries seem to have a lasting impact on big men. In fact he's already been ruled out of the Derby in Round 1. Plus, I think people may have a view of him as an 'elite ruckman' which doesn't reflect reality (just yet). I hope I'm wrong of course.

I disagree with myself here. Yes, I am such a contrarian I often take umbridge with my own opinions. It's a difficult and time-consuming way to live I assure you.

I think I was being too harsh on NicNat's 2012 efforts. Upon reflection he was very good, his impact on games is often decisive even if it's not uniform across games. Unfortunately, I was proved right about his 2013 season. He never fully recovered from his injuries. He did, however, provide some highlights in a season bereft of them; the standing ovation he recieved upon his return against the Dogs, his game winning goal against the Roos and at least 1 incredible goal against Hawthorn.

Was he the biggest disappointment? Impossible to tell. There was so many; Wellingham, Lecras, the invisible Gaff...the list goes on. The team was a big disappointment, let's leave it at that.




7. Number of Times Worsfold will display human emotion....

I say this with all due respect,  as I literally own his shirt, but let's be honest he is an android right? Still when we win the Premiership by 73 points I expect to see at least a form of smile emerge


....um...erm...this is awkward. I don't know what to write here. One of the problems that I perceived throughout the season was Worsfold's lack of enthusiasm for the job. Of course, I'm not privy to inner-sanctum discussions, meetings etc. but at different times he appeared tired, disinterested and depressed. Although he has never been a big fan of press conferences, his meetings with the 'journos' this year took on a whole new level of antagonism.

It will be interesting to see what kind of coach Simpson is; placid like Worsfold (usually was) or more akin to the crazy, jerk-faced, irate, pain-in-the-ass, wall punching, child umpire abusing Clarkson.

Stay tuned for more reviewing in the coming week...and remember...

70 DAYS UNTIL ROUND 1!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment