Saturday 13 July 2013

Round 16 Preview: Eagles Face Soporific Dockers

The thing about being successful is that it's great fun. Well, that's the general rule. Cynical coaches like Ro$$ Lyon, also known by many (just me) as 'the man who killed football' have turned that on its head. Because although the Dockers will probably push into the top 4, to the disproportionate cheers of their finals-starved fans, watching them play is usually an exercise in trying to stay awake. In fact, you know the expressions 'I'd rather watch grass grow' or it's like 'watching paint dry'? Well 10-15 years from now, those sayings will be replaced by "I'd rather watch a Freo Dockers game". It's a twisted, perverted almost pseudo-football that they trot out each week.

gyigluiyg h.......sorry, my head fell onto the keyboard, as I fell asleep thinking about the Freo-North game a few weeks back....

Saying all that, I really can't wait for this one! It's the first derby I will ever attend (owing to the fact I won tickets) and it could be the last until the new stadium (haha) is in use (because I'll probably never win tickets again). I should say I 'plan' on attending, as I live in the southern suburbs and there's every chance I'll have to endure some Crowley-esque torment to make it to the ground. Tough gig.

The stakes are huge. Which makes me feel very hungry. And nervous. We're 1 one game outside the 8. The Dockers are percentage outside the top 4. Both teams will be desperate.

Coming into the game, we are in fine form. The spectacular win over Adelaide followed up very good (but not quite good enough) efforts against the Hawks and Bombers. Our last 4 games in fact have been decided by an aggregate margin of 37 points. We're in the best form of our season.

The Dockers on the other hand, are difficult to gauge. A smashing at the hands of Geelong, followed up by an extremely lacklustre performance against the tanking (there, I said it) Saints leaves me a little unsure of what to expect.

They've definitely performed the better of the two sides over the course of the season. But, right now, I'm not sure you can say they're the better team. I'm happy that both Sandilands and Pavlich playing. Although I never want to see players injured, the chances of Sandi performing anywhere near his best, for anywhere near the whole game is doubtful. Plus, Pavlich, after a long lay-off will hopefully be a little sore following his first outing last week. Up forward, I'm feeling very confident that we have a big edge. No McPharlin is massive. Although Zac Dawson isn't the lightweight like back in his early days, he's vulnerable. So is Alex Silvagni.

Yes, their midfield is stronger than ours. It's usually the case. But, as the group showed last week (against a very strong Crows midfield) they are good enough. That effort is coupled with the addition of.................Why do I keep writing the previews before the teams come out!

I was expecting at least a couple of Shuey, Kerr and Wellingham to return. Instead, we're confronted with this situation:

WEST COAST

B: Schofield Glass Brown
HB: Brennan  Mackenzie Smith
C: Gaff Priddis Rosa
HF: Hutchings Kennedy Hill
F:  LeCras Cox Darling
FOLL: Naitanui Masten Dalziell
I/C FROM: Cripps Sheppard Embley Morton
IN: Smith Morton
OUT: Waters (knee) McGinnity


FREMANTLE

B: Silvagni Dawson Ibbotson
HB: Spurr  Johnson Mundy
C: Mzungu Crowley Hill
HF: Fyfe Mayne C Pearce
F:  Ballantyne Pavlich Sandilands
FOLL: Clarke de Boer  Suban
I/C:  D Pearce Walters Barlow Sheridan
IN: Silvagni  Sutcliffe Neale Taberner   
OUT: McPharlin (calf)

Cale Morton, who played 73 forgettable games for the Demons makes his debut for the club....erm, I have no words. Thursdays at 4:15 has been a harrowing experience for us this season.

Again this was written before the teams came out: 

I'd be lying if I said I'm extremely confident. But I'm cautiously optimistic. In my mind, it's a 50-50 game. I know all the 'experts' have picked Freo without a second thought, but they did the same to the Crows as well. They're also failing to recognise the significance of this being an Eagles home game. I know it's not quite the same as playing an interstate team, but surely the extra support gives us the emotional edge.

I originally picked the Eagles by 15 points...more sober now...

Trying to stay positive, I'll say what I said last week- there's no reason for this not to be a close game. We'll need another herculean effort from what I'm going to term the 'replacements'. We have the firepower to kick a winning score against anyone. But getting it inside our 50 will be a problem against Lyon's drones. I still think we can win. 'Can' and 'will' are different propositions, but we're a chance. And if we win, man, that would be something.

And if we lose, well, we'll just have to go home and polish our premierships (that's not a metaphor for anything by the way).

No comments:

Post a Comment