Monday 8 July 2013

Round 15 Recap: Iconic Win that was 3 Weeks in the Making

After the game, when JJK was being interviewed, he said something to the effect of "it's been a good couple of weeks...um not really because we lost...". It was hilarious. But although it may have seemed as if he misspoke, I think there's more than an element of truth to it. In terms of purely performance, effort and intensity, it was a good two weeks.

This game, however, had the added element, the only element that in the end counts- the victory.

And what a victory! To say I was concerned after 10 minutes would be an understatement. For the 3rd week running we were down by 3 goals early. I wrote in my preview that it couldn't happen again or we would be spent. We did look spent, we missed some early shots, but a flurry of goals to end the quarter (including Hill's miracle soccer goal from 50) helped us steady the ship.

Then the game really see-sawed from there on. Adelaide were ascendant in the 2nd, then us in the 3rd, then Adelaide in the last until....WOW!!! I'm not going to pretend I thought we were still alive. 13 points, 6 minutes left. Low scoring game, away from home, 3 of our best 5 midfielders out. I had already thought of a title for this post: "Rinse and Repeat". But the courage, strength and sheer will of the team was breathtaking.

Embley kicked a clutch goal. Dalziell (what zeal!) finished a field long team attack with the ugliest yet most beautiful goal you'll ever see. At that point I was thinking "fine, a draw, I'll take it". But then, unbelievably, JJK kicked a goal from 45 on his left with 50 seconds left. Say what you want about Anthony Hudson but he is responsible for my favourite line of commentary: "Who would've thought the sequel would've been just as good as the original?!" and now "He's covered himself in glory Josh Kennedy!".

It was our first win for a month. A deserved win. An iconic win. Our midfield has a strong whiff of WAFL about it, but the group showed how much that effort and intensity makes up for talent.

There were too many exemplary performances to list. But Priddis has blown me away this season. Especially this week when he just kept getting the ball, clearing, running, tackling, getting tackled and getting up. No words are necessary for Kennedy. Embley, a guy who I thought was done, played a  pivotal role. It can't be easy coming on as the sub for 20 minutes, then going off again and then coming back. 16 possessions, that crucial goal and a gallop down the sideline to seal the deal. Schofield's goal, one we've seen before, was special. Dalziell, another who I admittedly questioned, has filled in extremely well in an injury-depleted team. I'm sure there is others I'm neglecting to mention, but it really was superb team performance.

I don't want to harp on negatives, BUT there were heaps of unforced turnovers (particularly Masten, who was lauded by most, but I'm not too sure). I also thought Rosa was very poor again and Darling was fairly quiet.  

Unfortunately, McG was offered a 3 match ban for a 'sling tackle'. It didn't look like a 'sling' to me at all. And then the MRP has the gall to offer McKernan a 2 match ban after he clearly intentionally elbowed Sheppard in the head. Inconsistent and abysmal. Just like the umpiring on Saturday night.

We move to 9th on the ladder (which could become 8th), 1 win behind Port.  We face the Dockers and Swans the next 2 weeks. Remember how I wrote that I was done mentioning finals? Well, I've changed my mind. I've become obsessed with the AFL's Ladder Predictor, desperately trying to figure out a way for us to play Finals. In fact, I'm probably going to post something about how we can make the finals.

But it may involve a time machine. No, not really.

A huge 2 weeks ahead. Let's savour the moment from this one for a few more days before the Derby. Then we can savour that win.

No comments:

Post a Comment