Sunday 21 April 2013

Round 4 Recap: The Doctor Will See You Now.

If this Eagles team went to the doctor, the litany of problems they would report would be endless:

1. Loss of Appetite-  No hunger for the ball. The Blues had more desire and desperation. Does this team actually care? Actually, it doesn't matter if they 'care' so much as they realise they're being paid huge amounts of money to play this game. So play it.

2. Short Term Memory Loss- Keep forgetting where the goals are. 7.23. Need I say more. No, but I will. Sinclair missed two easy shots. Dalziell, 15 metres out, slight angle, missed. Besides looking like carrot-top, is there any reason why this guy's on our list?

3. Narcolepsy- Fall asleep for vast periods of time during games. This team has an amazing ability to play in fits and starts. It's as if we're a computer and we keep crashing, fine when we're running but then the 'blue screen' appears and by the time you've rebooted we're 4 goals behind. It was a problem last year, but it's even bigger now. We got away with it against the Demons, but against a legitimate AFL side you're going to lose more than you win.

4. Feeling Insecure in own home- 0-2 at home this year, 0-3 if you count the 'away' derby. As I tweeted on Saturday night, how can there be a premiership 'window' when you don't have a home?

5. Insanity- according to that evil guy on Far Cry 3 (a reputable source) the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Worsfold allows Yarran to burn Old Man Selwood again and again and does nothing. His coaching performance in general was lacking inspiration, flexibility or creativity. It reminded me of the 05-7 years when all he did was throw Hunter forward and hope for the best...luckily for him it generally worked. I don't know what Hunter is up to these days, but I do know one thing: If this team doesn't turn things around and QUICKLY, then Worsfold won't be coaching us next year...maybe. Well he probably will be, but it's a point worth discussing as I think he's out of contract.

What else to say?
-  My estimation of Glass has gone up even further. He's an underrated legend. Forget the self-promoting Scarlett, or 300 year old Fletcher, I'll take Glass any day of the week.
- Cripps subbed off. I'm not seeing much to like about this kid. I'm not sure I've been actively aware that he's been playing this year as he's like the invisible man on a football field.

So 1-3. I'm feeling incredibly pessimistic about this side right now. That performance was worse than against the Hawks. We play undefeated (!) Port next week and we've never been good against them in Adelaide. I honestly believe, at this moment, that they should be favourites. I know they've only beaten a troubled Crows team, but they've got spirit.

All we have is a season teetering on the edge of oblivion.

No comments:

Post a Comment