Friday 6 April 2012

Round 2 Preview: Eagles vs Demons

 It is usually a joyous occasion for any team when the Demons come to town. They have been mediocre, nay, damn right diabolical (sorry) for what seems like nearly a decade. But when the town is Perth, and they're playing the Eagles, and they've been in the news all week for all the wrong reasons...then this should be quite the celebration indeed. I know I should have pity them for the (apparently) unfair racism allegation levelled against new coach Mark Neeld, but really it's none of my concern. It's a mess, which reflects where they're at. They are quite shambolic. On the field, off the field, on top of the field, behind the field? Whatever position they occupy relative to the figurative field, it isn't an enviable one. And now apparently the CEO of their (now former) sponsor went crazy on FB 'attacking Aborigines, Asians, women, Muslims and Jews'. I mean, how does one attack that many groups? He clearly favours equal opportunity when it comes to being an asshole.

Anyway, back to the footy.

Neeldless (intentional) to say, I expect us to win big. I know there's the possibility that they 'respond' but even if they do, they are inferior as a team. They have made several changes, including dropping mole Davey.
There's also the fear of complacency, but does that exist in round 2? I for one don't think it does, at least not for us in these circumstances. I'm not really one for saying a good win is so many points. I'm really far more interested in our performances in these situations...in saying that at least plus 60 right? Unsurprisingly, we have made no changes to the team that domesticated the dogs.

I'm interested to see the the form of Naitanui, Shuey and Masten in particular. We all know Masten's issues, but this is his chance to realise his potential. A strong performance here could kick start his season. Both Shuey and Naitanui had very good seasons last year (Shuey a breakout) but they can both get better. I really want to see NicNat take over a game. Could this be the one? I'm also looking at Hill to see if he can replicate his goal-scoring from last week, or maybe have more of the ball.

Another interesting issue is that of the sub. Embley was highly influential last week as he flew off the bench in the second half. Apparently, the Eagles will use it for our 'Senior' players, but Embles doesn't want it. It's difficult to judge from the lineup who really fits as the sub. I can't imagine Kerr sporting green at all. It wouldn't be very clever. I know he doesn't always get much of the ball, but he attracts so much attention that he allows our young players a freer hand. Masten? Gaff? Again, we need Masten to find consistency and Gaff isn't going to develop sitting on the pine. I'm thinking perhaps Smith or Hams. But we shall see.

For those of you attending the game, enjoy. I hope you haven't got seats too close to the boundary as you may be sprayed with blood (ew), as the Eagles pummel the Demons unrelentingly.

Let's rock Eagles.

UPDATE: I failed to mention that Shannon Hurn plays his 100th game this week. Congrats to him. He is an integral piece of our backline and overall structure...and if there was one person who would lead me to become a foot fetishist it would be him. A right foot to be revered.


No comments:

Post a Comment