Saturday 31 March 2012

Round 1 Preview: Eagles Gear Up for 'Manly' Dogs

As I sit her typing the Tigers have just been beaten by the Blues on a Thursday night in March. That means one thing...it's Round 1!

I know it 'officially' started last week, but that was hardly football in the sense that one of the alleged team can't really play 'football' (yet). Anyway, if we don't play it never really counts to me anyway. Round 11, for example, will be like a black hole of football for my memory. Sure, stuff will happen and I'll slavishly monitor my SC/DT teams as they slowly devour themselves, but their will be no meaning to any of it. No passion, no emotion; no fear.

And fear, my friends, is what distinguishes us fans from the casual followers.

However, I'm not feeling very fearful for the opener. When I don't know the name of your coach and can't be bothered to search for it, it means I don't care. It's not personal; it's just that I think you're mediocre. I must re-emphasise the point, however, that I have no notion of how the Dogs played in the pre-season. My sense of them is all based on just a general feeling...call it female intuition....erm but the male equivalent.

But the point is, it doesn't particularly matter if they have improved. It's all about us. They don't have a great team with immense talent. In fact, my general impression from their team selection is that their pretty much the same team they were last year. Consequently, I'm confident that if we play like we did last season we will prevail with (nigh)ease.

I know we haven't had an ideal preseason in terms of injuries. A forward line that was already lacking depth in the small(er) forward role is now rather decimated. Lecras will be sorely missed. Nicoski's latest setback is also cause for concern. But the misfortune of some provides opportunities for others. Hill gets his debut for the club this week against his old side. Meanwhile, Hams gets the nod in front of Weedon. I would have preferred Weedon but the club seems to have faith in 'Porky'. Some may say misplaced faith. But I'm willing to give him a few games before relegating him to the 'Masten category'. Few make their way back from that classification, with E-Mac being the one notable exception.

In other team news, Old Man Embley, Mr Glass and JJK are all good to go. The Butler, unfortunately, has been named an emergency. Overall, it's a very solid line-up that should be more than capable of handling the Dogs. No matter how 'manly' they are under new Coach ?.

We have a very interesting season ahead with many possible storylines. A break out year for Nic-Nat? Masten finds consistency? A top 4 finish? A Premiership? None of the above? All will be revealed. But for now we face the Dogs and we should enjoy the first game of the year.

The Eagles are back. REJOICE!!!

---

Other News...
- Apparently, Matt Rosa plans to stay an Eagle. He was playing well last year prior to his injury, so if he stays great.

No comments:

Post a Comment