Friday 30 August 2013

Round 23 Preview: The End.

I look forward to Saturday night's game with anticipation. Not because I'm desperate to see the Eagles play Adealide in what is a dead-rubber (ish) match. I look forward to it because when the final siren sounds, we never have to see the 2013 version of the Eagles ever again. It will be a relief, as following the Eagles this season has been an extremely disappointing experience. Some might say harrowing. I would be included in that some.

I say we will never see this version of the Eagles again, but I have deep concerns about next year. Who's to say the same thing won't happen again in 2014? But that's for then.

I don't know what to expect from this game. We are 3-8 over our 11 home games so far. The days of us taking games at Subi for granted are long gone. We've only beaten the Dogs (when they were bad), the Suns and the Roos (in a miracle). We did of course defeat the Crows at Football Park earlier in the season (in what is our best win of the season) but I don't have any confidence we can repeat the dose on Saturday night. I thought we would bounce back after the Geelong schmozzle. How naive of me. I won't be making that same prediction again, because no matter how many times different Eagles come out and say they'll do better...they never do.

Masten was rolled out this week and actually was fairly honest. I will match his honesty by saying his beard is the most hideous thing I've ever seen on a human being's face. But I digress.

He said some interesting things such as:
Obviously, the last two (games) haven't done any favours for Woosha and as a playing group that's a bit disgusting...
The last couple (games) have been pretty poor, so a lot of players are probably playing for their careers a little bit...
Woosha has made mention that a lot of the boys have been playing not up to AFL standard...

 Hmmm. I appreciate his candour and he is right about how bad we have been. But as I've written before, I doubt whether Worsfold's job is truly under threat. I also doubt whether careers are on the line. I look at the team and I don't see many guys under threat. I mean sure if I was coach...no one would be safe, so it's probably a good thing I'm not. As a point of exercise, I've highlighted guys who next season will be under INTENSE pressure to keep their spot in the side...or others that perhaps should be but won't be.

WEST COAST
B: Mitchell Brown, Darren Glass, Patrick McGinnity
HB: Sam Butler, Eric Mackenzie, Ashley Smith
C: Chris Masten, Sharrod Wellingham, Matt Rosa
HF: Andrew Embley, Josh Kennedy, Josh Hill
F: Adam Selwood, Scott Lycett, Jack Darling
Foll: Dean Cox, Scott Selwood, Matt Priddis
I/C: Blayne Wilson, Simon Tunbridge, Jamie Cripps, Andrew Gaff

In: Simon Tunbridge, Andrew Embley, Adam Selwood
Out: Will Schofield (cheek), Brad Sheppard (Omitted), Bradd Dalziell (Omitted)

ADELAIDE
B: Kyle Hartigan, Ben Rutten, Rory Laird
HB: Luke Brown, Daniel Talia, Brodie Smith
C: Sam Kerridge, Patrick Dangerfield, Rory Sloane
HF: Mitchell Grigg, Lewis Johnston, Richard Douglas
F: Ian Callinan, Andrew Otten, Bernie Vince
Foll: Sam Jacobs, Nathan van Berlo, Scott Thompson
I/C: David Mackay, Brad Crouch, Richard Tambling, Matthew Wright
Emg: Shaun McKernan, Sam Shaw, Jason Porplyzia
In: Matthew Wright
Out: Petrenko 

I'd be concerned if I was Sheppard. He has has a bad season and being axed for the final game isn't a good sign. On the other hand, I get the sense he has been anointed Embley's successor (of sorts) so who knows. Schofield misses after spending time in his home town of Geelong (classy mob) and Brad. D. is omitted. Tunbridge is given a game because...well why not.

Embley and Selwood return for farewell games. They deserve it.

I don't think we will win, but I hope we can at least give the two retirees the respect they richly deserve by actually trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment