Saturday 30 June 2012

Round 14 Preview: Zzzzzzzz...but Important!

Forgive me for not being super-excited about the upcoming game against the Suns, but there just isn't anything interesting or even in contention in this one. The Suns haven't won a game, there's no history between the clubs, I don't like their guernseys etc.

I do, however, like Guy McKenna. I was fortunate to (co-incidentally) attend his final ever match against Melbourne at Subi many years ago. We got placards reading 'Thanks Bluey' or something to that effect. We got thrashed, but there was a wonderful montage at the end of the game (or 3 quarter time) dedicated to the legend. What was the point of telling you that? Well, it takes up space for one and also, he's awesome.

Blogging of awesome, last Saturday I was in the Claremont vicinity in a car when I saw a man out of the corner of my eye, driving, he had a beard. I believe he was no other than a certain Josh Kennedy, some of you might remember him from our forward line...Anyway I stared at him for a few seconds and I think I may have freaked him out. If it wasn't him than that poor chap would've been especially freaked out by the gawking. I'm sure the real JJK reads this blog, so drop me a line if that was you Josh. Cheers.

The game is important though. As I alluded to in my recap of last week's agonising loss, we are on the brink of being outside the 4. With the Pies guaranteed to win, Essendon playing the Dogs and the Swans the GWS, a slip up here could be the end of a top 2 chance. It may seem a bit of a reactionary comment but based on my predictions we face a real fight in trying to lockup top 4, let alone the highly valuable top 2 spot.

There is one change to our team with Swift losing his place to debutante Murray Newman. I don’t know much about Newman, except that he’s been in decent form. Also, although his hair isn’t great and he does have a Swift-like moustache, he still surpasses Tom in the follicle stakes.

West Coast Eagles
B: Beau Waters, Darren Glass, Patrick McGinnity
HB: Shannon Hurn, Eric Mackenzie, Mitch Brown
C: Andrew Gaff, Matthew Priddis, Brad Sheppard
HF: Josh Hill, Quinten Lynch, Chris Masten
F: Nic Naitanui, Jack Darling, Daniel Kerr
Foll: Dean Cox, Scott Selwood, Luke Shuey
I/C: Matthew Rosa, Ashton Hams, Jacob Brennan, Murray Newman
Emg: Sam Butler, Thomas Swift, Koby Stevens
In: Murray Newman
Out: Thomas Swift

Gold Coast Suns
B: Alex Sexton, Matthew Warnock, Taylor Hine
HB: Sam Iles, Steven May, Trent McKenzie
C: Matt Shaw, Karmichael Hunt, Harley Bennell
HF: Jared Brennan, Charlie Dixon, Liam Patrick
F: Daniel Stanley, Sam Day, Brandon Matera
Foll: Tom Hickey, Josh Caddy, Gary Ablett
I/C: Zac Smith, Jarrod Harbrow, Joel Wilkinson, Kyal Horsley
Emg: Jeremy Taylor, Aaron Hall, Andrew McQualter
In: Jarrod Harbrow, Charlie Dixon, Matt Shaw, Steven May
Out: Luke Russell (Hamstring), Rory Thompson (Ankle), Michael Rischitelli (Hamstring), Seb Tape (Knee)

We really need a decent win here. By decent I mean percentage boosting, especially as I expect most of the other top 4 aspirants to well and truly increase their percentage this weekend. A 75 point victory would be nice.

C'mon Eagles! 

----

In other news, both Lycett and Butler have resigned for another 2 years. Lycett still has a lot of development to undergo, but with a nickname like ‘Big Lychee’ I can’t help but think he has a promising future. The Butler, as I’ve said on numerous occasions, is a very solid and experienced backman.

Lecras has said he has a chance of returning for finals but it still seems very 'pie in the sky' stuff. He would need a perfect recovery from here and still it would be a risky decision.

Brad Dick also has aspirations of playing finals and tomorrow he will play his first Senior game for East Fremantle, after kicking 3 goals amongst 13 possessions last week  for the reserves. If Dick is healthy then it's great news for him and us as he would provide another avenue for goals in our injury ravaged forward line. Still it's a big 'if'.

Finally, as for the ‘chuckers’ thing, I’m not going to dignify those claims with any response....except for this: yawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment